#AskAway with Coach MK and Coach Sarah; 6/16/19
The Fitness Protection Podcast is currently sharing a feed with The Morning Mantra, this will be changing SOON! Keep an eye on this space!
Coach MK and Coach Sarah stream live Q&A sessions each week on the Fitness Protection Program Facebook Page, The FPP YouTube Channel, and Twitch, simultaneously. Join us! They are a lot of fun and super informative, and anyone may ask follow-up questions during the live broadcast.
Books Referenced in today's Broadcast:
Running Flow by Csikszentmihailyi
Running & Breathing by Justin O'Brien
1. I do the majority of my running on a treadmill in the summer. Should I make any adjustments to the training and/or settings on the treadmill? How I’ll it correlate to what I will be able to do on the road? Thankful for you both and the time and effort you are investing in this program!
2. It’s summer in Texas. I spent more of my avocado toast this week walking than running. I’m usually good with this, because it’s ridiculous outside. The only time I am not is when I wistfully think of a half marathon in 26 weeks. I’m nervous about building up enough sustained shuffling time when it’s time to jump up to maintain for that event.
1. Hey Batter Batter Batter- Swing Batter! Aka the Hammer: In the Swing workout our rest is active recovery. Is the rest for the Hammer active recovery or actual rest? Thanks for all you do Coach MK and Coach Sarah!
2. When figuring out our 5k/10k paces, etc., what Easy effort pace should we base it on? Is it an average of your EE pace over the course of a run? We don’t do a lot of straight EE runs on maintain, so it’s hard to determine.
3. Can you please give some tips on what it should feel or look like form-wise when maintaining 5k pace? Do we increase our cadence or stride? My 5k pace based on EE is somewhere between 6:15 and 6:45. Problem is holding anything faster than a 7 minute mile and my form goes to shit. I become Phoebe from friends. Am I better off staying at a 7 minute mile pace? Thanks!
4. I am struggling right now-- Just when I think I have things under control, my post-tib tendonitis acts up again. I had wanted to get into the full maintain schedule for July, and was possibly looking forward to another marathon in late fall- but now I'm not sure. Sometimes I think I'm just trying too hard, or expecting too much. I'm hoping that a relaxing week in Florida with my mom will help me reset. Not sure what my question is, but I'm just wondering if maybe I even need a break from Maintain while my body figures out what's going on.
5. Sarah asked me to post a question on breath! How to breathe during hard effort is at the top of the most valuable things I’ve learned from MK. It took a long time for it to click. I had listened to the AMR podcast many months before the hard effort runs started and understood the concept but not the application. Then I asked a question one day about feeling almost like I was having a panic attack when running at 5K pace and MK said, that’s when you shorten your breath cadence. And since then everything has changed!
6. I have a Recovery R8 Roller (hurt so good). What is your opinion, thoughts, suggestions, and/or recommendations for using it?
7. I’ll be doing my very first marathon this December at CIM. As you probably know I’ve been training with you since early 2016. I’m wondering if a 10 week build up to a marathon is going to be enough build up for me since it will be my first. Thanks!